12/22/09

Are you a Christian?

A Course in Miracles Text (FIP)  Chapter 3.
THE INNOCENT PERCEPTION


I. Atonement without Sacrifice


T-3.I.1. A further point must be perfectly clear before any residual fear stillassociated with miracles can disappear. 2 The crucifixion did not establish the Atonement; the resurrection did. 3 Many sincere Christians have misunderstood this. 4 No one who is free of the belief in scarcity could possibly make this mistake. 5 If the crucifixion is seen from an upside-down point of view, it does appear as if God permitted and even encouraged one of His Sons to suffer because he was good. 6 This particularly unfortunate interpretation, which arose out of projection, has led many people to be bitterly afraid of God. 7 Such anti-religious concepts enter into many religions. 8 Yet the real Christian should pause and ask, " How could this be?" 9 Is it likely that God Himself would be capable of the kind of thinking which His Own words have clearly stated is unworthy of His Son? 


T-3.I.2. The best defense, as always, is not to attack another's position, but rather to protect the truth. 2 It is unwise to accept any concept if you have to invert a whole frame of reference in order to justify it.
 ----------------------------------------------------------
Are you a Christian? from ACIM Chat

Jed: Are you a Christian? I know it don't matter either way, but I'm just curious as to who feels they are and not. I for one feel I am a Christian. I Don't believe what most organised religions say about Jesus or Christ. However, I do feel Jesus that Jesus has set the record straight with the course. I consider it the Gospel of Jesus. For it is truly good new! Is it not? I'm not trying to change anybody's mind, just would like to take a quick survey about how you feel.

Tom: G. I Gurdjieff once said that the only person who could honestly call himself or herself Christian was one who actually followed the teachings of Jesus. That would not necessarily include all Course in Miracles students.

Billy: This is something that amazes me -- that certain people who study the Course obviously do not think that Jesus was the author of the Course. It seems to me that ALL students of A Course in Miracles are following the teachings of Jesus. I am aware that there is a theory in the Course community that Jesus is not the author of the Course (taught mainly by Wapnick -- or so I am told), but if we take the Course at its word (which some people do not want to do for some reason -- they want to read it metaphorically, when Jesus tells us in the Course, "You have surely begun to realize that this is a very practical course, and one that means exactly what it says." Now there are times when Jesus uses metaphorical language, but those times are usually pretty obvious) then it is clear that Jesus is the author. So, by Gurdjieff's definition, all Course students are Christians. I actually agree with this definition. It seems to me that Course students are "true" Christians. But, I realize that I am in the minority here. He even tells us in the Course, "those who accept me as a model are literally my disciples."

Here is what he says in T-6.I.8-10:
"A church is where an altar is, and the presence of the altar is what makes the church holy. 5 A church that does not inspire love has a hidden altar that is not serving the purpose for which God intended it. 6 I must found His church on you, because those who accept me as a model are literally my disciples. 7 Disciples are followers, and if the model they follow has chosen to save them pain in all respects, they are unwise not to follow him.
"I elected, for your sake and mine, to demonstrate that the most outrageous assault, as judged by the ego, does not matter. 2 As the world judges these things, but not as God knows them, I was betrayed, abandoned, beaten, torn, and finally killed. 3 It was clear that this was only because of the projection of others onto me, since I had not harmed anyone and had healed many.
"We are still equal as learners, although we do not need to have equal experiences. 2 The Holy Spirit is glad when you can learn from mine, and be reawakened by them. 3 That is their only purpose, and that is the only way in which I can be perceived as the way, the truth and the life. 4 When you hear only one Voice you are never called on to sacrifice. 5 On the contrary, by being able to hear the Holy Spirit in others you can learn from their experiences, and can gain from them without experiencing them directly yourself. 6 That is because the Holy Spirit is One, and anyone who listens is inevitably led to demonstrate His way for all."
Billy: In this passage, Jesus is referring to what we might call the "true" church and altar (here is an example of him using metaphorical language -- you and I are not literally a church with an altar inside), his crucifixion and resurrection, us as disciples, him as "the way, the truth and the life," etc. I don't understand how someone could say, "Oh, but that is not really Jesus saying those things. And, he doesn't mean any of that literally." It sounds pretty clear to me.

Tom: Reading and talking about a book does not amount to "actually following the teachings of Jesus," in my opinion.

Billy: I agree that just reading and talking about a book does not make us followers of the teachings of Jesus. Actually "taking this course" is what makes us followers of the teachings of Jesus. The three volumes add up to a spiritual path that leads to "true perception," and then God takes the final step and brings us the rest of the way Home -- a Home that we never really left. We study the Text as a way to get the "theoretical framework" that prepares us for the Workbook. It is with the Workbook that we practice the thought-system of the Course that we learn about in the Text. Then we extend love and forgiveness to our brothers through our unique way of teaching (Manual), thus learning (reinforcing) what we teach. In short:
  1. Study
  2. Practice
  3. Extension
Carrie: "I must found His church on you, because those who accept me as a model are literally my disciples. Disciples are followers, and if the model they follow has chosen to save them pain in all respects, they are unwise not to follow him." (T.6.I.8:6-7)

Tom: Are you a Christian?

-oOo-

Tom Fox
Louisville, Kentucky

Tom Fox on Facebook

------------------------------------------



No comments: